Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Eggs & Extras - May 9, 2012


Note:  Full and Half Share folks, come by for your free bag of spinach!  Yummy.

May 9, 2012
Hello people,

Picking took a very long time today.  Mostly I was just slow, but the vegetables needed extra washing because of soil that splashed up on the leaves during the rain.  I decided to thin the next batch of mesclun, so it can get nice and big and because thinning during a gentle rain is the absolute best time for the plants.  

The result?  Micro mesclun!
This is a delicious mix of the next batch of greens, including mizuna, arugula, turnips, 4 kinds of mustard, cress, shungiku, kale, and tiny lettuce leaves.  A treat that is only available this week.  And really tasty.


The Giant Winter spinach continues to crank out lots of big, tasty leaves.  I did notice a few plants starting to bolt so this batch will be going by relatively soon.  For today, we have LOTS!  
*******In fact, there is so much that I would like to offer all the official Full and Half Share farm members a half pound bag, as a treat and a warm up for next week's first official shares.*******

I "field washed" most of the greens to get the garden off them but they need to be washed again before they are ready for eating.

Available this week:
Eggs only 1/2 dozen at the moment - $4.00/dozen - The hens are laying about 18 per day.
Radishes - 1 bunch - $1.25
Spinach - 6 bags - $3.00 each (This is in addition to the giveaway bags.)
Kale - 2 bunches - 2 bunches - $3.00 each
Chicory - 1 bunch - $2.50
Buttercrunch lettuce - 4 bags - $2.50 each
Micro mesclun - 7 bags - $3.00 each
Salad mix - 2 bags - $3.00 each - mostly lettuce this week, mild
Nettles! - 3 bags - $3.00 each - a special spring treat, great with butter

Pictures of the food here.

Since next week is the start of the official farm shares, I am not sure how that will affect the extras list.  I am sure there will be extra items, but priority will be given to the shares.  Also, I think I will not be sending out an email about the extras until later in the day on Wednesday, possibly early evening.  Having both the extras list and the farm shares is new this year so it will take a few weeks to work out the best way to coordinate the picking, pick up and communications.  Please be patient and please let me know if you have ideas for improvement.

As usual, let me know if you want me to save something for you.  If you Half and Full Share people don't want spinach, let me know that and I will either sell it or freeze it.  Or eat it.  Spanikopita sounds pretty good to me!

I am still hoping for a larger refrigerator.  Sadly, the one someone gave us recently doesn't seem to work.  Sure looks good on the porch, though.

And, biggest farm news:  Baby ducks are arriving May 22!  We are getting Cayugas and Welsh Harlequins.

Peace,
Laura
Sweet Morning Farm
413-773-8325





  

No comments: