Monday, December 3, 2012

Eggs & Extras - December 3, 2012

Red Garnet and Osaka Purple mustard greens from the hoophouse. 12/2

Red Garnet and Osaka Purple mustard green seeds.
Hello friends,

Egg production is good, steady and the hens are giving about 2 dozen each day.  Someday soon, our 3 young pullets that we bred and raised this summer should start laying.  Keep your fingers crossed for olive green eggs!

The ducks lay 1 to 4 eggs a day and still haven't figured out where their nests are but the eggs are tasty. Mostly people email or call and requests and production is neck and neck but it is real easy to save some for you if you let me know.  Usually there are 1 to 3 dozen in the little dorm frig available for people that drop by when I am out.

The hoophouse vegetables are beautiful and yummy.  Growth during these short days is kind of slow, and since I only have small amounts of each kind of vegetable planted, mostly the HH has been providing Rob and I with delicious and healthy eating so far this winter.  BUT, I am learning about how to grow winter greens and hope to figure out a way to expand my winter production.  In the meantime, I'll let you know when extras are available and feel free to ask!  The mustard greens pictured above got eaten here this week and are so good!  And they seem to be growing despite the short days.  Tat Soi is getting bigger day by day, as well.  I will be planting microgreens in the house very soon, so in 2 - 3 weeks we'll have nutrient-packed micros to eat.

Available Today:
3 dozen large @ $4.00 a dozen
1 dozen duck eggs @ $5.50 a dozen or $2.75 per half dozen

cooking with duck eggs:

Have a great day,
Laura

PS  Singers: I hope to sing in Noho on Tuesday and will bring eggs if you want.

No comments: